Friday, January 14, 2011

A Week in Review

This past week was a FLOSSy week for us. (Fresh, Local, Organic, Seasonal, and Sustainable.)

Sunday: Organic & Seasonal Kale Tacos (from this fantastic Blog




Tuesday: Sustainable Salmon Burgers 
I actually had the chance to meet the fishermen who produce this product. The Coop has samples on the weekends - it's just like Costco, but better because the person giving the sample is the farmer or fisher-person who actually grows or catches the food! These patties are Wild Alaskan Salmon mixed with Organic Vegetables all sourced from within 100 miles of Olympia, WA.
Cook it just like a burger - with smoked gouda, organic cilantro, on my homemade bread!

Wednesday: Seasonal & Organic Carrot, Sweet Potato and Leek Soup 
 

I took this soup to our church's young adult group text study, and therefore, completely forgot to take a picture! This is the picture in the cookbook, Easy Soups. I loved it! 














Thursday: Organic & Seasonal Butternut Squash Enchiladas 
 Butternut squash




Enchilada Sauce from Oregon - It says sweet, but don't be fooled! This sauce has quite the kick. 
 To make the enchiladas:
Cut and seed a butternut squash into 4 parts, steam (10 minutes in the microwave covered with a bit of water - until soft to the fork), let it cool, then peel and chop it into cubes. ( I only used half my squash, hence why I also made muffins!) Sauté the squash with onions, peppers, and garlic in Olive Oil. Feel free to add spices - I added some cumin and chili powder. Once the onions and peppers are softened, take it off the heat.

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a cake pan (9 x 13) then fill and roll 6 tortillas (your choice) with the squash sauté and cheese. Then sprinkle a little extra cheese and pour enchilada sauce (any kind will do, though I prefer red sauce to green) over the rolls tortillas. Bake for 20-30 minutes, and top with cilantro and sour cream. I also served it with organic black beans.



Friday: Butternut Squash Muffins, Kale Chips and the Potluck 




My agro-ecology class had a FLOSSy potluck today! I made butternut squash muffins (since I had so much left over) mostly from this recipe, but I substituted yogurt for applesauce, brown sugar for sugar, added cloves and extra ginger, and didn't really measure anything at all. (I forgot a plate too, so I used the lid to my pyrex bowl.)


Our TA made Kale Chips - and they were so DELICIOUS, I just kept thinking about them, so I had to make some when I got home to share with Ross. 
To make Kale Chips you need: 
1 bunch Kale 
Olive Oil 
Salt 

Chop the kale into bite sized pieces, toss with olive oil, spread out on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, then bake at 350 F for 10-15 minutes. So crunchy and delicious! (Thanks to Elizabeth for the idea!)

And my snack of the week: 



This Salsa is made locally in Sedro-Woolley, and is one of my favorite places to stop by at the farmer's market for a sample. I LOVE that it is available at the Coop when the market is closed.


Challenge to you: Make at least one FLOSSy meal this week!

Wondering what is in season where you live? Click here. 

3 comments:

Lauren said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ooo! Can you post that squash enchilada recipe? I'm intrigued...

Jenn said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sure thing - it is updated with the recipe!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for the link!

All that food looks amazing!! Great job!