Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Nursery

Getting ready for baby... 


We were so excited when we found our duplex because the smaller bedroom was already painted green! It really didn't take too long for the nursery to come together, and I love how it turned out! 

A couple things in this photo that I'm excited about include the little frog on the top of the cube wire shelf - a slumber buddy! It plays white noise and shines stars all over the ceiling. I also love the color the fabric storage boxes add - they are full of books, bibs, toys and one is empty! 

The dresser/changing table is awesome and gives us a lot more storage. The top drawer is full is butt paste, diaper rash cream, baby sunscreen, and all sorts of things. The other two drawers are full of blankets, extra crib sheets and the like. We've also got a cloth diapering system in the works though it is not complete, and I'll talk about this more and share how it all goes for us as well. 


I LOVE the big leaf canopy from IKEA as well as the hanging mobile of bugs. The decals for the wall came from Target and are just adorable, and they really add some color and character to the room. 



This is a poster I bought while I was in college and decided that right above the changing table was the perfect place for it, and that it fit the theme of the room so well. The poster is a shortened version of the poem, and I think the advice is sound for a little one who is growing and all of us. 



Dear Friend,
Stand Tall and Proud 
Sink your roots deeply into the Earth
Reflect the light of a greater source
Think long term
Go out on a limb
Remember your place among all living beings
Embrace with joy the changing seasons
For each yields its own abundance
The Energy and Birth of Spring
The Growth and Contentment of Summer
The Wisdom to let go of leaves in the Fall
The Rest and Quiet Renewal of Winter
And delight in their presence
Look up at the moon that shines down upon you
And the mystery of the stars at night.
Seek nourishment from the good things in life
Simple pleasures
Earth, fresh air, light
Drink plenty of water
Let your limbs sway and dance in the breezes
Be flexible
Remember your roots


Feel the wind and the sun 
Be content with your natural beauty 
Enjoy the view!



This rug was also an IKEA purchase and one of my most favorite things in the room. I can't wait to see our little girl crawling on the rug and how it might spark her imagination as she grows! 


The wall decals are from Target, we only $12 and really gave the room some character. At first Ross and I poured over nursery sets and couldn't decide on a perfect one, but in the end I realized that getting a matching set is not only super expensive, but it's not as much fun as just letting some pieces inspire you. 


Plus the homemade quilts and other gifts make it so much more unique - like this quilt my dear college roommate Megs made, or the teething caterpillar my friend Hayley picked up at the Fremont Market


For a while we were worried that the room was too green and bland, so we decided to hang this quilt that my Great Aunt made - cute and pink with butterflies. 


The close is full of all kinds of goodies! I love this hanging organizer, and it was fun to wash and organize all kinds of tiny little onsies and dresses. Also got a Pack'n'Play!


Some things we decided to buy with Baby Shower gift cards include a Boppy and a Bumbo


All kinds of goodies for breastfeeding - a pump, bottles, tubes, and lots of storage bags. 


My dad got us an Ergo Baby Carrier which we are very excited to have! It will be perfect for our hiking and outdoorsy adventures. We also got a Moby Wrap which we spent some time last night practicing how to tie. I'm excited to get to try it with her outside of my belly! The amount of fabric that the Moby Wrap has was definitely intimidating, but after practicing tying I decided it's not that bad at all! Just like learning new knots for rock climbing. The Moby is definitely a better choice for us that the Baby K-tan (which is essentially the same kind of wrap but pre-sized) because the Moby is adjustable and both Ross and I can use it. No point in spending the money to buy two! I can't wait to try them out and let you know what I think. 


0 comments: