Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pumpkin Birthday Cake

We had fun celebrating Ross' 26th birthday on Monday. It was pretty low-key: I made homemade calzones for dinner and then we caught up on The Office. Like up-to-tonight current caught up. Too bad Grey's Anatomy is on at the same time. 


The night before Ross' birthday I realized that hadn't thought about making him a cake! Thankfully, Mama Pea came to the rescue right before bed when she posted her Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake


Now I'm not sure what defines a cake as a "coffee cake," but I sure wasn't going to tell Ross that "coffee" was the name of the recipea that I used for his birthday cake. He has a strong aversion to coffee, and despite the fact that no coffee beans were used in the production of this cake, he would have been suspicious. Ignorance is bliss. 


The only thing I changed from Mama Pea's recipea was that I added an egg. I think it made the cake richer and helped it rise more. Or it could have been the fact that I used equal parts baking soda and baking powder. Whoops. 


The streusel topping really stole the show! 


Later on we added the cream cheese icing, though we dug into it before I could take pictures. And it was all gone by dinner last night. It was incredible, moist, not too sweet, and all around wonderful. Sans coffee - just add in some birthday. 

Ross has been begging me to make more. We finished the last piece 16 hours ago! Well, now he has the recipea, maybe he'll make it for me while I am working on my graduate project!!! Hint hint. 

0 comments: