Sunday, April 3, 2011

First Farmers Market of the Season!

Yep - it's the first Saturday of April, which means two exciting things: the Farmers Market opened and my birthday is almost here. =)


And we went despite the constant drizzle, gray skies and my cold. I have been looking forward to the market so much I think I willed myself into feeling well enough to go. And I felt as determined as Barbara Kingsolver was as she described her family's trip to the market on a similarly dreary day in her book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.  


The combination of rain and nearing the end of my cold meant that I made a beeline for my favorite tea - Sip-T, and she definitely caught me taking a picture. 


Hmmm.... mint green tea, perfect for my body and the day. (Notice the water drops on my rain jacket) 


Then we were after what fresh, local and seasonal veggies we could get our hands on. 


Kale, leeks, bok choy, potatoes, and hazelnuts from Broad Leaf Farm in Everson, WA. 


And onions, shallots, and more hardy greens. 


Our loot: including asparagus, which is just coming into season, and some bulk items from the Community Food Coop, including rice, pasta, oats, and trail mix for hiking. Since it has been raining so much, I decided soup season is not quite over, and we're going to make a potato and leek soup on Monday. 


But for tonight - 


We had an amazing stir fry with loads of delicious veggies (onions, peppers, broccoli, carrots, and asparagus - all those colors are so lovely together), peanuts, and brown rice noodles slathered in a homemade peanut sauce


Though the morning was rainy and gray, the clouds faded and we enjoyed a beautiful sunset! Soon we won't be able to see the sunsets as well once the trees start thickening up. 

A pretty solid day; I made granola bars, baked bread, and even started some seeds! I am going to give this gardening thing a try, though I am a bit nervous. We'll see how it all turns out - wish me luck! 

Enjoy the rest of your weekend! Peace. 

0 comments: