Friday, April 1, 2011

Lenten From-Scratch #2 & #3

OH MY GOSH I CAN'T FIND THE PICTURES I TOOK OF MAKING THIS!!!

Ugh, I hate it when I lose or accidentally delete photos. Worst. thing. ever.

At least the hummus hasn't disappeared... yet.

I made two batches of hummus, mostly because 2 cups of dry garbanzo beans = A TON of cooked garbanzo beans, but also because I missed a Lenten from-scratch while I was at Holden.

The first batch was a traditional hummus with garlic and tahini, and the second batch - peanut butter hummus!


Hummus (which I used with my homemade pitas)

2 cups cooked chickpeas
1/2 cup tahini or more to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
2-4 gloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper
1 Tbsp ground cumin or paprika

Puree the chickpeas in a food processor, and then add the remaining ingredients. Process until well blended, and add water (or bean cooking liquid) to thin it out if desired. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour to allow the flavors to develop.


Peanut Butter Hummus (aka protein power dip) from Peanut Butter Planet - A rad cookbook my friend Hayley left at my house (so I'm going to take advantage and cook from it!). As you might have guessed, every one of the 80 recipes contains peanut butter!

And I think it sounds pretty weird... but it's actually really tasty!

1 1/2 cups cooked chick-peas
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 large garlic clove
1 tsp parsley
1/2 salt

Same directions!!!

Although this is pretty easy to make, getting the texture and taste right is something I'll have to continue working, and trying new recipes - perhaps for a spicy hummus, or a tomato and basil hummus. It is pretty simple though, and something I think I can continue to make from scratch at home!

0 comments: