Friday, April 22, 2011

Good (Seed Bread) Friday


I'm exhausted, and have left blogging a bit behind as I have had to dedicate more time to being a TA and an intern this week. I have also decided to dedicate more time to spend with my husband, and attend Holy Week services, and yes, making bread. 


This is what we hear every Sunday at church before communion, but last night as we remembered the Last Supper, we listened to it with a renewed angst. 

1 Corinthians 11:23-26

 23 "The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes."

Though I could speak these words by heart, and have heard this story time and time again, there was something about last night where the story struck my in a different way. For Jesus, this truly was His last meal, and as my feet were washed and I tasted the bitter wine with unleavened bread I was simply brought to tears. I felt gratitude in a way that I hadn't before. That night was his last night on earth - and then humbly Jesus went to the cross for me. And for you. And for all the earth and all of creation. 

Good Seed Bread 
An Original Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 cups warm water 
1 1/2 Tbsp active dry yeast
3 Tbsp sweetener (sugar, honey, agave) 
3 Tbsp organic canola oil
1 Tbsp salt 
2 cups unbleached white flour 
2 cups whole wheat flour 
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten flour
1/4 cup sesame seeds 
1/4 cup golden flax seeds 
1/4 cup sunflower seeds 



In a large bowl measure out the yeast, salt, sweetener, and canola oil. 


Add the warm water and gently mix. 


Then add the seeds, followed by the flour. 


Knead the dough by squeezing, rotating, folding and massaging until it is a bit sticky but is smooth, elastic, and is in one piece. Leave it to rise for two hours - or I left mine in the refrigerator to rise slowly overnight. 


After the first rise, prepare your bread pans (grease if needed) and then divide the dough into three equal pieces. Fold the dough into itself and then form into a long cylinder that is about 3/4 the length of your pan. Slash the top of the loaf with a serrated knife and leave to rise for about 40 more minutes. 

Preheat the oven the 450*F. Boil 2 cups of water and place the water in an oven safe dish on the rack below your loaves. Bake the loaves for 25-30 minutes. When they are done place then on a cooling rack for about 20 minutes to let the steam continue to cook the bread. 


(I broke out the summery table cloth.) 


Aren't they lovely? 



The first bite I took was somewhat of a shock - I have become accustomed to my usual honey whole wheat recipe, but this loaf has such a different, exciting and great flavor! 


Loaded with seeds. 



Today is not only Good Friday but it is also Earth Day. While the day tends to have a somber tone, what we must remember is that in Jesus' dying we all live. In the same way, it is by the dying of creation we live. As I have mentioned before - to me, baking bread is both a radical act of environmentalism and an act of spirituality. 

Therefore, I want to leave you with one final reflection for the day, and wish you peace on the rest of your journey in these 3 days. 

Psalm 126:5-6 

5 Those who sow with tears
   will reap with songs of joy.
6 Those who go out weeping,
   carrying seed to sow,
will return with songs of joy,
   carrying sheaves with them.

1 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love seedy bread!