Saturday, May 7, 2011

Dessert for Breakfast

Chocolate Banana Buckwheat Bake 


This was inspired by Edible Perspective, but I didn't have all the same ingredients, so I made it up. I would highly recommend visiting Ashley's blog, however, she has so many variations on this baby! 


As we were grocery shopping this week I found buckwheat flour for only $3.29 - which surprised me as some flours from Bob's Red Mill run nearly $7-$10 for the same amount. Buckwheat flour is gluten-free despite "wheat" in the name, so this recipe is perfect for my gf friends! 


I also picked up flaxseed meal. I've heard that many people add some to their morning cereal or yogurt, or into breads for added nutrition. The side of the bag of flour says FLAX stands for:
 Fiber: lowers harmful LDL, raises good HDL, and keeps you regular: so don't use too much! 
Lignans: natural antioxidants found in flaxseeds to fight cancer.
Alpha-linolenic Acid: aka omega-3s.  
eXcellent choice for your health! 

And Ross thought he was just getting dessert for breakfast?!?! Mwuahahaha!

For 2 Chocolate Banana Buckwheat Bakes you need: 

1/2 cup Buckwheat flour 
3 Tbsp cooked wheatberries (leave them out to stay gluten free) 
2 Tbsp flax seeds 
2 Tbsp flaxseed meal 
2 Tbsp rice milk (or any type of milk) 
1 egg
1 mashed banana 
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup 
2 Tbsp cocoa powder 
1/2 tsp cinnamon 
1 tsp vanilla 
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp chopped nuts (optional) 


Mix all the dry, then add all the wet. I used 2 small lightly greased Pyrex bowls to cook these in the microwave for 1:40 - and you're done!


Before and After shots - I couldn't believe this steaming hot beauty came right out of the microwave! 


The bakes slide right out of the bowls. I flipped them over onto a plate, but you can eat them right out of the bowl = fewer dishes. I would have done that but for pictures.


They were wonderfully fluffy, and a beautiful combination of chocolate and bananas. They go great with milk. 


Topped with almond butter and walnuts, since I decided I didn't feel like chopping walnuts to mix in. I would have served them with banana slices as well, but Ross already had a banana in the morning so I skipped it. 


This is the almond butter that I used - MaraNatha Almond Butter. I saw this at our Food Coop and couldn't believe almond butter was going for $18!!!!!! Insane - right? Well, don't fret, because I didn't buy it there. I saw it ON SALE at Fred Meyer a couple days later for under $5. Whew - and it is SO good. 


I mixed it in with my homemade yogurt + granola + wheatberry + frozen blueberry breakfast bowl yesterday morning - it was amazing! And I stay very satisfied until lunch. 


I bought some almond butter from Trader Joe's before, but all the oil was on top and it was impossible to stir. So tough in fact that I knocked it over and spilled all the oil everywhere, and had even drier almond butter to deal with! This is much better. 

Do you ever play around with recipes, or do you follow them to a "T"? 

1 comments:

Krystal said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Those bakes are beautiful!

My recipe experimentation tends toward the cheap. If an ingredient is too expensive - like your almond butter - I'm on the hunt for alternatives. Or skip it altogether. I rely heavily on allrecipes.com - the recipes are rated and user comments often reveal twists or alternatives to make it to your taste. I looove this recipe and make it with chickpeas instead of chicken: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mediterranean-Quinoa-Salad/Detail.aspx