Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Seedy & Garlicky

I realized today that I hadn't baked bread for nearly 2 weeks!!!! I miss fresh bread, and Ross was pining for some as well. 


So after work I got right to it. I didn't feel like cracking out a cookbook though, so I made something up. 


Jenn's Seedy and Garlicky Bread 
First mix together: 
1 1/2 Tbsp active dry yeast 
1 1/2 Tbsp salt 
1 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
3 1/4 cups warm water


Then add 1 cup of seeds - I used golden flax, roasted flax, and sesame because I had them on hand. 

 

Then add:
 2 1/2 cups whole wheat
2 cups unbleached while wheat 
1/2 cups vital wheat gluten flour
1/2 cup rye flour 

Mix together until it is even and leave to rise for 2 hours. (I took a nap during that time and I'm not sorry about it!) When it is finished rising, flour the counter top and your hands and divide the dough into 4 even parts. Form the dough into loaves by folding it over itself and let it soak up a little extra flour. Slash the formed loaves with a serrated knife, and leave them to rise on a pizza peel lightly sprinkled with cornmeal for another 20 minutes (or in a greased loaf pan if you do not have a pizza stone.) Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450 F. 


I wrapped the other two loaves in foil to freeze until I am ready to use them. This dough isn't wet enough to store in the refrigerator like this one. 


Boil 1 cup of water and place in an oven safe dish in the oven (like and old pie tin) and  then slide the loaves onto your pizza stone and bake the loaves for 30 minutes, or until that lovely brown color and fresh bread smell fills your home. 


I burned my hands trying to slice these too soon! Let them cool a bit. 


I finally got to slicing and decided we were having fancy sandwiches on fresh bread. 


Looks at all those seeds! The garlic hint within the loaf was amazing as well. 


I made a turkey, roasted red pepper, caramelized onion, cream cheese and jalapeño pepper jelly sandwich with a side of roasted sweet and regular potatoes topped with more caramelized onions. 


Caramelized onions are incredible. 


I really enjoyed biting into a sandwich with soft, still warm fresh bread tonight. I haven't had the energy lately to do a lot around the house since I've been sick, but this really reminded me that it was worth it! 


0 comments: