Thursday, March 3, 2011

Another Whoops...

Seems to be that I am having to come up with more and more creative things to do with my bread whoopsies... this time, I tried to make a bigger loaf of the honey whole wheat recipe, but I think it was too big and too wet because the center was still doughy and the crust was going to burn.

I used to doughy center to make more eggbake, which is delicious and I would never complain about, and the crunchy crust I used to make croutons!

It's pretty simple, slice up the bread into crouton sized pieces and lay them out on a cookie sheet.


Then spray them with oil, sprinkle generously with garlic powder, and bake for 25-30 minutes (less time if your bread is stale and not a fresh mistake) at 350F. 


And that's all there is to it; simple, easy, and your perfect homemade solution to a favorite salad companion. I ate them in some chili yesterday. Crunchy and garlicky and croutony perfection. 


And just in case you were worried, Trader Joe's products come from non-GMO sources. Look at #3 on their customer updates page for more details. This definitely made me feel more comfortable about shopping there, and this canola oil spray was $2.99 as opposed to the Community Food Coop's canola oil spray for $4.99; both non-GMO. 

Although in this story from NPR says that non-GMO corn essentially doesn't exist in the US anymore because contamination is so prevalent. Listen to it here. Tell me what you think - I was in despair, though comforted that you can find uncontaminated corn in Europe! 



3 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love homemade croutons--way better than store-bought ones!

Cassie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You can also use a misto and put whatever oil in it you'd like. Add that to your kitchen wish list!

Jenn said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Cassie I will add that to my list - great idea! I've never heard of it before.