Friday, March 18, 2011

Old Town Cafe

Apparently all I did this past week was eat out... Armadillo... Watercourse Foods... and I haven't even caught up enough to tell you about the DOUBLE-DECKER Chipotle... ah, another day.

I suppose that's what vacations/recovering from finals are for! 


And since my friend Hayley is in town and is a bit of a Foodie herself I had to take her out for breakfast at my favorite spot in Bellingham - the Old Town Cafe - which is both in Old Town and a cafe. For the record.



A fantastic menu with many organic, fresh, seasonal and local offerings. Bellingham is just full of great restaurants like these! 


This is Siri - Hayley grew up with her. She's hilarious, so we let her hang out with us. She took a final about an hour before this photo was taken - don't judge.


Hayley had an Organic Steamed Apple Cider - Yummy!!!




Hayley ordered blueberry multi-grain pancakes, festive and ready for St. Patrick's day, with REAL maple syrup. Read: no HFCS at all!


Siri and Ross both had the Farmer's Skillet Deluxe - which is just as amazing as it sounds: Homefries mixed with onions, peppers, mushrooms and cheese topped with sour cream and salsa with a side of eggs and toast.


We have had eggs for the past few mornings in a row and I was a little tired of them, but I am not a sweet breakfast kind of girl either, so I went with a savory vegan option that this place does so well - a tofu scramble.


It is cumin and tamari seasoned organic tofu with onions, avocado, pepperjack cheese and Ross' salsa, since he didn't want his on his skillet, with a side of home fries and their AMAZING black beans.


If you know Ross at all, you know that he will turn whatever he can into a sandwich. Or a burrito of some sort. You know what I'm referring to.


Making it a sandwich?!?!?! Best idea ever! 


And check out our green... no pinches today! 


Hayley even has little Irish people on her shirt! 


Oh, and this might have been the best part of this day... SUN! The PNW spring is upon us! 

___________________________________________________

Mostly because I feel that I need to prove I did do some of my own cooking this week... and because Ross recently asked me what else you can do with Kale (besides Kale Tacos and Kale chips?)... I present a green dinner: Kale Pie. 



Ingredients: 
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 bunch kale or chard leaves, sliced (about 8 leaves) 
1 medium onion, sliced
salt, pepper, seasonings
6 eggs
1 cup sour cream
3 Tbsp mayonnaise (I used vegan tofu mayonnaise) 
1/2 tsp baking powder 
1 1/4 cups flour 


Preheat the oven to 375F. Put the onion and kale in a large skillet and cook on medium for about 10 minutes; do not brown. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and seasonings. I added a ton of garlic, as per usual. 




Hard boil 3 of the eggs, chop and then add to the kale mixture. Compost your eggs shells - like in this cute in kitchen composter with a filter! 


The make your batter: mix the sour cream, the remaining 3 eggs, mayonnaise, baking powder and flour and mix until smooth. 



The in a greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan, pour in half the batter... 


Add the kale filling... 


and pour the remaining batter on top, trying to cover as much kale as possible so that the leaves don't burn. 


Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is shiny and a little browned. This can be served warm, but I actually ate it tonight after it had been refrigerated for a couple hours and really like it that way! It was pretty good, had a spongy chewy texture, though I think it probably needed more seasonings. Maybe I should top it with Chili powder! 



Hope you had a great St. Patrick's Day!!!! 

0 comments: