Thursday, August 25, 2011

Bounty of the Season

Ross and I just got back from a few days in Las Vegas with his family - it was a great time! I'll have to share some pictures once I get them from my Father-in-law (he's a professional photographer, so I slacked while he was around...) Did I mention that I got to eat at In-N-Out!!!! I was so happy. 


The first thing we had to do when we got back was run up and grab our produce box from Cedarville Farm - and you sure can tell that we are getting to the height of the season! 


Look at all those colors! Tomatoes, basil, zucchini, a bell pepper, artichoke, lettuce, green and yellow romano beans, an onion (and a big one at that!), carrots, basil, and golden beets. Ah the blessings of summer. 


Ross and I tried preparing an artichoke once before... and it failed miserable. I'm excited to try again


Then perhaps we'll make a Caprese salad and some zucchini pancakes...


I'm thinking about some sauted romano beans... 


But since we were starving when we got home and in no mood to wait - we went for a salad. Chopped lettuce, tomatoes, carrots and bell pepper sprinkled with feta cheese and vegetarian bacon bits. It was fresh, local, organic, and delicious! 


Now I've got to finish unpacking, do some laundry, and get my food worker's card FOR MY NEW JOB!!!!!! I am going to be a seasonal baker this fall at BelleWood Acres! Back in the winter I toured their farm with my Agroecology class from Western and talked with Dorie about working there during harvest season, and here we are. I'm really excited, and it will be perfect for the fall while I am finishing my project for grad school.   

0 comments: